The Marijuana Harm Gap: Busting Myths and Upending Popular Narrative with Contemporary Research
Featured expert: Prof. Mary Cannon, Ph.D.
In this presentation, Mary Cannon, professor in the department of psychiatry, RCSI University of Medicine and Health Sciences in Dublin, Ireland, will address some of the common questions people ask about the relationship between marijuana and youth:
- Is there a public health benefit in legalizing marijuana?
- If cannabis were legalized, would we see lower rates of adolescent use?
- Do states/countries that legalize marijuana see reduced youth use because the regulations protect them?
- Does cannabis use act like medicine and reduce mental illnesses such as depression and anxiety in young people?
- Will more cannabis use decrease the use of other substances by teens?
- Are alcohol and tobacco more harmful to young people than cannabis?
You will come away with the factual answers to these questions from scientific research and evidence, instead of false claims.
Mary Cannon is a Professor in the Department of Psychiatry, RCSI University of Medicine and Health Sciences in Dublin, Ireland. She also works as a consultant psychiatrist in Beaumont Hospital Dublin. Professor Cannon currently holds a Consolidator Award from the European Research Council to investigate the meanings and mechanisms of psychotic experiences in young people. She previously held an Advanced Training Fellowship from the Wellcome Trust and a Clinician Scientist Fellowship from the Health Research Board (Ireland). Her longstanding research interest is in the area of childhood and adolescent risk and protective factors for adult mental illness, particularly psychosis. She and her team published an RCSI report on “The Mental Health of Young People in Ireland” in October 2013 and she co-edited a Special Issue of the Irish Journal of Psychological Medicine on Youth Mental Health which was published in March 2015. She has served on a two Irish governmental taskforces on youth mental health and on substance use in third level education. She is Chair of the Academic Faculty of the College of Psychiatrists in Ireland and vice-chair of the Youth and Student Mental Health Special Interest Group.
Email Founder & CEO, Laura Stack, at [email protected].