I hope you’re doing well! I’m writing to update you on the progress our nonprofit, Johnny’s Ambassadors, has made in its efforts to educate parents and teens about the dangers of today’s high-THC marijuana on adolescent brain development, mental illness, and suicide. And second, I’d like to request your support and ask for a donation to our big annual fundraiser, the #StopDabbing walk.
Since becoming a nonprofit in May 2020, we have made a tremendous impact in youth marijuana prevention. Among our accomplishments, we have:
- Completed the development of our online teen and adult marijuana training. We have eight modules with two hours of content ready to roll out (we just finished our soft launch phase). We are receiving incredible testimonials from those who take it, such as: “I’ve been looking for a program to recommend to our local school district, parents, students, and community members regarding youth marijuana use, and I have finally found it. This is FANTASTIC! I love how interactive the training is; it’s very easy to understand and fun! As an underage substance use prevention specialist, even I learned a lot through this course. Thank you, Laura, for sharing your story. I admire your strength and dedication.” — Reagan Mecham, Frenchtown Community Coalition Coordinator
- Served on a coalition to testify and pass CO House Bill 1317 regulating marijuana concentrates. Johnny’s story was used in closing comments by one of the bill sponsors. This bill provides broad protection for 18-to-20-year-old young adults and makes it harder to get “medical” marijuana.
- Started a weekly blog post and newsletter with 3000+ current subscribers. I write an educational article for parents with the purpose of reducing adolescent marijuana use. We also promote Johnny’s Ambassadors webinars and upcoming events, post research links, and share a THC story from an ambassador.
- Conducted 65+ weekly Expert Webinar Series for Parents and developed a world-class repository of leading marijuana experts around the globe. Over 5,000 people have viewed the videos on our YouTube and Rumble channels (in addition to live attendees).
- Wrote a book, The Dangerous Truth About Today’s Marijuana: Johnny Stack’s Life and Death Story, which hit bookstores on July 10. All proceeds benefit Johnny’s Ambassadors! We have 32 reviews so far. Started a book club, facilitated by Toni Nuckols, which starts every six weeks.
- Held several educational events for Anti-420 Day and Marijuana Mental Health Month.
- Created an online community of Johnny’s Ambassadors, who help other parents in crisis with youth using marijuana. I receive emails, texts, and Facebook messages nearly every day from parents who need resources on how to find help for their children.
- Compiled the largest collection of marijuana toolkits and videos available on one website.
- Appeared on a multitude of television, print, and radio media spots to bring exposure to Johnny’s Ambassadors and connect with parents who have children using marijuana.
- Established a new annual observance, National Marijuana Facts Week™, July 4-10 each year.
- Created a database of hundreds of scientific research studies with summaries, which our Ambassadors use for education and links in social media postings to increase awareness.
- Created a Scientific Advisory Board (SAB) to give input on our curriculum and book. They answer clinical questions and represent Johnny’s Ambassadors when scientific information is needed.
- Formed an Advisory Council of leaders of several other anti-marijuana awareness and prevention organizations. We meet every other month for them to provide me with guidance on questions related to fundraising, programs, and administration.
- Created an Alliance of 15 anti-marijuana awareness and prevention organizations. We cross-promote each other’s work and events, so our branding and reach have significantly improved this year.
- Presented many educational webinars to legislators, healthcare providers, drug prevention specialists, and community coalitions.
Bottom line, our activities have resulted in passing new legislation, creating teen marijuana prevention curriculum, increasing public awareness as evidenced by thousands of new Ambassadors in the past year, educating in webinars and presentations, and forming important industry relationships. But most importantly, our work is changing the behavior of teens!
“I love your nonprofit and what it does. I read the article on your site about Johnny and all it did was remind me of myself. Thanks again for fighting for the youth. I truly would’ve never used marijuana if I knew all this information from you.” — Emil T.
Of utmost importance for our mission, we will hold our Johnny’s Ambassadors annual #StopDabbing walk on Sunday, Sept. 19, 2021. So far, we have 26 teams helping us save our youth from the harms of marijuana. We’ve raised over $28,000 of our $42,000 goal (48%) to fund the majority of our activities in the coming year. I would be so grateful for your help getting us across the finish line!
Sadly, so many friends, family members, and neighbors still face the struggle against the predatory marijuana industry coming after our children, and we need your help to support our work this coming year:
- Measure and publish the results of our teen online curriculum.
- Get our online curriculum into schools (with a priority on where marijuana is newly legalized), youth groups, community groups, clubs, and drug prevention coalitions.
- Use the outcomes from our curriculum to apply for grants to extend the reach to more teens.
- Have the legal system use our online curriculum as part of the diversion program when a youth receives a Minor in Possession (MIP) charge.
- Continue our legislative work to limit THC potency with the new 2022 legislative session.
- Work with a consultant to advertise on Tik Tok to attract youth while on their phones and lead them into our training.
- Form Johnny’s Ambassadors teams around the country (similar to MADD), to provide grassroots marijuana education and awareness in local communities.
- Give educational presentations about the harms of marijuana on youth to parents, educators, drug prevention specialists, healthcare providers, and legislators.
- Get The Dangerous Truth About Today’s Marijuana: Johnny Stack’s Life and Death Story into communities around the country through coalitions.
- Begin a new Johnny’s Ambassadors Expert Webinar Series for Teens.
- Continue our weekly blog article series and newsletter.
- Create weekly graphics to reach teens and youth leadership clubs on Instagram.
- Start Johnny’s Ambassadors drug prevention clubs in high schools.
- Expand National Marijuana Facts Week with Drug Free Communities participating around the U.S.
- Create a youth impact panel, where teens harmed by marijuana use record their testimonies to convince other peers not to use.
- Increase the footprint of our #StopDabbing walk around the globe (youth marijuana use is a worldwide problem)!
Can I count on you for your support between now and September 19? The easiest way to donate is online with a credit card. We can really use consistent monthly income if you’re able to give $35 a month in a year (for a total of $420), and you will join our Anti-420 Club on our website (check the box that says “make this a recurring monthly payment). Or you can mail a check made out to Johnny’s Ambassadors, 9948 Cottoncreek Drive, Highlands Ranch, CO 80130, and I can enter your gift into the walk platform. All donations are 100% tax deductible contributions to Johnny’s Ambassadors, Inc. EIN #85-0593925. Or participate in the walk as an individual or a team.
Thank you so very much for considering another gift. With your help, I promise I will continue to work hard to educate parents and teens about the dangers of today’s high-THC marijuana on adolescent brain development, mental illness, and suicide and save our youth from the harms of marijuana.
With much love and gratitude,